Saturday, October 27, 2007

International Man of Mystery?


This is a picture of my dad. A lot of people have asked me what he does for a living. My SIL, Jennifer, usually tells people that he is an "International Man Of Mystery." Good job, if you can get it!

We used to have a neighbor in the "old neighborhood" (that is how you describe where you used to live if you used to live in New Jersey) that was sure that Dad was a CIA agent because he used to go to China for a month at a time, twice a year. And he started doing this basically on the next plane out after Nixon came back from China. For those of you too young to remember (myself included) NOBODY went to China back in the 70's. Nobody but my dad. He had a vision of cheaply made garments on all the racks at your local Wal-Mart. Thanks, Dad! Okay, not at Wal-Mart, at Sears. Remember those Toughskins jeans you wore as a kid? I had some amazing made in China knick-knacks as a kid. Stuff that other kids didn't have. It was really cool. Back in those days a trip to China was really exotic. He used to bring a lot of his own food. Stuff like hot chocolate and instant soup. He liked China so much that in 1987 he moved us all to Hong Kong. But that is a story for another post.


My dad is not an international man of mystery and he is not a CIA agent (at least I don't think so!). He is an Executive Director with Li and Fung. I know, that doesn't really tell you what he does. That is what these articles are for, they kind of give you a glimpse.


I Googled him tonight to find some articles that talk about him and his job. I found some interesting things. I will just post the links, not the whole articles. This first one made me laugh. It talks about him speaking at a conference and they say that the conference-goers were "taken aback" at his presence. Who says that? It makes sense when they explain it in the article, he isn't creepy or anything! :-) http://www.catalogsuccess.com/story/story.bsp?sid=37807&var=story


This next one has a PowerPoint in it that I guess my dad created for his speech at this conference. I learned a lot, just scroll down and click next to his name in the box. It says Tom_Haugen_ PP Presentation http://www.fias.net/ifcext/fias.nsf/Content/FIAS_Conference_Logistics_Trade_Competitiveness


Here are a couple more. One is from the Li and Fung website. It has another cute pic of him!





2 comments:

tiki_lady said...

I really enjoyed reading about your dad. You must be very proud of him. You also look like him too, well prettier that is. I forget what your mom looks like but I remember she was very nice.

Michelle said...

Well I can see which parent you look like now! I don't think he could deny you! :)