Sunday, June 8, 2008

Sewing is contagious

Ella decided that she wanted to make an apron for her teacher. She sent an e-mail to Mrs. L and asked her a bunch of favorites type of questions. Ella ended up with a list that included:

Color: Royal Blue
Animal: Dog
Collection: Boyd's Bears
Season: Fall
Hobbies: Sewing and cooking

So Ella decided that she wanted to incorporate as many of these elements into the apron as she could. At first she tried to embroider a dog, but we decided that this bear would look better. We found the bear on an online coloring sheet and then I minimized it on our scanner. Ella did an excellent job.


After she had embroidered the bear for the pocket she was ready to start sewing the apron. She picked a bear fabric that looked like some of Mrs. L's Boyd's Bears.

She decided to make a gathered half apron, since she likes the ones that I have. We used the pattern in Bend the Rules Sewing.
And she picked a blue fabric for the waistband and ties. It isn't exactly Royal Blue, kind of more of a chambray. It matches the bear fabric just perfect. Ella was very happy with the finished product.

Here is a closeup of the pocket.


8 comments:

Heather said...

Good job Ella!!!

Sandy said...

Please tell Ella that I stand in awe! What a thoughtful gift and so very well executed!

Heather said...

I forgot to tell you what a delight it was having her at our house....we would love to have her any time!!!!! Next year if you go to girls camp we will keep her all week!?! She is wonderful and a great example for my girls!

Unknown said...

Wow....so darling....and so amazing that she did that on her own.

Kristi said...

Count me as impressed.

tiki_lady said...

I love it! can you please send her to NC to teach me! I have a sewing machine and material just crying out her name! I want ella too! pullleeze!

Michelle said...

You think Ella would teach me how to sew?? I could use some help!!

Anonymous said...

She done a wonderful job, how lovely she went to all that trouble for her teachers. Just so sweet